So yesterday, after processing through all of my conversation with Daniel, I sent this email to Coach and Aaron. I thought I would share. This is just highlights.
1. Daniel is nothing like I expected.
2. His role is more of a mentor, my co-worker likens it to an AA sponsor. Someone who I will talk to regularly about food, exercise, where my head is at, how I am feeling, whats going on and he will slowly walk me through making the changes as we do them. Sooo like you guys except a pro about diet, nutrition and exercise!
3. Today I am changing one thing. No processed grains or sugars. SO no breads, cereals, pastas or rice. He is leaving oatmeal alone for now. When I master this change and feel comfortable living in it, he will make another change. I will then continue to live with the first change and add the second to it…and on and on we go. So this morning I had eggs and sausage for breakfast. Probably not the BEST thing I could have eaten but I DIDN’T eat the bagel offered at our weekly meeting, so in his method, I was successful for breakfast. I need to ask him for breakfast ideas that are not always eggs…J
4. I do not count calories. He will explain this as we go along…
5. Did I mention he is not charging me. He considers this paying it forward from the goodness he has received in life. His idea is that what good is his knowledge if he doesn’t share it. He said he works at a mega gym for a paycheck, but this stuff he does for purpose. So why not bring me into LA Fitness?? Because it is not the best for me. Hmmmm
6. He said not to expect major changes in the first month. My body will be adjusting to a LOT of changes in workout style, nutrition and the whole shebang…but after 3 months I should see a major difference…soooo by Aaron’s wedding in September….I might be smoking!!!
7. He said by 6 months He will begin working with me on skin care. I looked at him quizzically. What does skin care have to do with all this…I was thinking perhaps he wanted to help me with acne??? Umm no…he said that by 6 months I will begin needing to plan for tightening up loose skin and he knows of things to help with that. WHAT!! Seriously! He knows ways without surgery to take care of that…OMG…I thought I would just forever have an ugly body even if I am fit and at a healthy weight for the rest of my life…
8. As for workouts…number of days per week and all that…He said start with one day and see how you feel. If you need to skip a day then skip a day. Over time I will get better. The ideal workout schedule with crossfit is 3 days on 1 day off. 1 hour per day. Beyond that, go live an active life. Swim, bike or run as I wish…no restrictions…with exception to stay off the races (because of the stress factor) for this year so I can focus on mastering this diet and workout lifestyle. Its not that I can’t but to add it back in could be overwhelming and he is all about keeping me underwhelmed. So far he is good on this front. He said this time next year, I will kill it at BLT because I will be in such a different place physically and mentally.
9. He will take new measurements each month. I will weigh myself at about the same time. He sent me my measurements and they are awful but he has “ordered” me to not worry about them. They are just for today. I am reminding myself of this constantly.
10. Some suggestions he has made for me to consider is of course keeping a food journal, but better he said is to make it a photo journal that I post somewhere. He said if I find myself not wanting to take that picture or post it, I probably shouldn’t be eating it in the first place.
There were several times as he talked that I literally felt the breath exhale from me in relief as whatever he said just felt comforting and ok and like this is all possible again.
I don’t know if Crossfit or Paleo diet is the best thing or the right thing or if I might end up hurting myself more than hurting. For all I know this may not work at all…. I don’t know any of that…but what I do know is the hope I am feeling and for now I am following the scent of hope.