1. No matter how much walking you are doing, never let 2 weeks pass between runs. It is that much more painful and ridiculously hard if you do.
2. Now that spring is officially here, wear bug spray when running in the woods. Should you choose not to wear bug spray, wear a net of some sort. If neither are available, prepare to be eaten alive. If you have an aversion to being eaten alive, you can always try to outrun them. Good Luck with that!
3. When running in the woods, near a river, gnats are in abundance. Run with your mouth closed at all times. Inhale through your nose and exhale the same way. Lest you swallow a fly. Or a swarm of them. (Gnats may be in abundance in other places, I just happened to be by a river.)
4. When running on trails, know thy trail. And stick to it. It is not a wise move to turn every time the path splits just because the “other” trail looks more interesting. Follow this rule, unless you are with someone else. The trails are marked in loops for a reason, so people don’t get lost! Be adventurous with someone else and not by yourself!!
5. Know basic lost in the woods rules. Isn’t there some girl/boy scout rule about keeping the river on your right? or left? or something? What is it? I must know what it is. Please.
6. All the breaking of twigs and rustling in the trees/bushes is 90% of the time some critter scurrying around. The other 10%, it is a fisherman trying to find a good fishing spot. Quit freaking out and jumping at every *snap*. It is NOT some man stalking you to make you his prey.
7. While at the State Park, no matter how lost you feel, a fisherman is only a scream away. (see #6) If necessary, scream loud, they will come help you, I am certain of it. (No I did not have to test this theory and hope I never do, but in reality, I was never very far from the river which is loaded with fisherman. They gotta be close!
That’s all I got out of my run today besides 553 calories burned and 3.59 miles walk/ran.
On the road…or trail….